Re: Gnote 0.3.1

Mart van de Wege wrote:
> Sinister Midget <fardblossom@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On 2009-05-15, Marti van Lin <ml2mst@xxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>
>>> And yes I am aware of his Mono fanaticism. I'd read an article a couple
>>> of months ago, where he shares his whet dream about Gnome 3 being
>>> totally rewritten in C#.
>>>
>>> I seriously hope the Gnome team is not going to let that happen. I love
>>> Gnome but as soon as it becomes dependent on Mono, I will drop it in
>>> favor of another DE and I am quite sure many will. This might be the
>>> death of Gnome and I hope, the Gnome team will realize that.
>> I've just come to learn to like Gnome over the last few months. I'm not
>> married to it, though (nor any other desktop manager). I could switch
>> to LXDE, IceWM or XFCE on a dime. Or Fluxbox, Enlightenment, Blackbox
>> or KDE (not 4). If MONO permeates all of Gnome, let me go ahead and
>> announce in advance that we'll be parting ways.
>
> Won't happen.
>
> Two years of Mono-pushing by Miguel & Co., and the grand total of usable
> desktop components are:
>
> - Tomboy, a sticky-notes applet (someone please tell me why I shouldn't
>   just open a text editor?!)
>
> - Beagle, a desktop search engine.
>
> - Banshee, a media player.
>
> Beagle and Banshee have competition, lots of it, and in my opinion they
> are not even close to the best in their class.
>
> Tomboy has virtually no competition, but maybe that's because it's a
> toy.

Not quit. Many Gnome users have "Desklets" installed, these are tinny
"eyecandy" applications. Desklets provides its own "Pick Up" notes.

Beside that, there is F-Spot, which is installed by default on Ubuntu
systems. F-Spot it a "photo viewer" and IMHO inferior compared to
gthumb, which has been around for ages.

So conclusion is: all these ridiculous Mono dependent apps are next to
useless, there are better non Mono dependent "alternatives". It is a
waste of precious disk space and a useless resource hog.

Mono is a (partly) port of .NET, which is not a standard but a Microsoft
vendor specific platform. If you need a platform independent development
environment then Java is the way to go. .NET is under no means platform
independent. It is pure vendor lock in, so let's blow the piece of junk
to bits :-p

> No, I don't think we have to fear for Mono becoming big. So far, the
> only thing big about it is the mouths of its promotors. And the memory
> usage of the running programs of course.

LOL :-)

A couple of months ago I proposed on Ubuntu Brainstorm the removal of
Mono and its worthless apps. The Mono pushers only resorted to personal
attacks, very similar to the usual Microsoft Shills behavior.

> Mart

Me too :-)

--
|_|0|_| Marti van Lin