Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:33:55PM -0500, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:

> https://www.mail-archive.com/debconf-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13243.html

> What we've got as response to this reaction?

> https://www.mail-archive.com/debconf-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg13265.html

To be fair, this is a typical response, and IMHO a legitimate one. If people
need to step away from a role in Debian, or they are burned out, or the role
has become too much of a burden for them to want to continue in their work,
it's not the job of *anyone* to try to talk them into not leaving. If 3
people choose to resign, that's their choice. It's rather on the insulting
side to assume that I know more than they do about their abilities to
continue moving forward in an environment that they have decided they no
longer want to, or can, be in. At the point of resignation - at the point
that the people actively give up - mediation is an option that has been
thoroughly exhausted. Mediating at that point will only invite further
burn-out or resentment. Mediation only works *BEFORE* the point of
resignations.

Like the situation with Daniel, there is a *lot* of backstory and history
that weighs the DebConf debacle down. The backstory and history actually
extends well before the current DPL's tenure.

Regardless, that has nothing to do with Daniel's situation, nor how it
should be handled.  As far as I'm concerned, the proper response when
someone resigns from a Debian post is "Thank you for your work.", not
"Please don't go!".

Patty Langasek
harmoney@xxxxxxxxx | harmoney@xxxxxxxxxx

At times, you may end up far away from home;
you may not be sure of where you belong anymore.
But home is always there...  because home is not a place.
It's wherever your passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski