Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:53:16PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> At least let him know and comfort him, and explain to him we're sorry
> for how it happened, thankful for his past work, and that we still
> want him to contribute to Debian. Right now, from his point of view,
> he just got kicked further away, and nobody cares, or even worse: that
> a majority of us wishes he disappears.

I agree that the impression that "a majority of us wishes he disappears"
is wrong, and that it'd be better to dispel it. Debian does welcome
contributions from everyone, be them Debian Project members or not.

> The naming is probably not too offensive. Though writing that
> live-build is deprecated and replaced is, and that's the bit which
> made Daniel stop live-build.

This on the other hand is just wrong. Replacing, in the context of
specific Debian teams, Debian live with something else is not offensive.
And nobody "made" Daniel stop live-build but himself.

Free Software is a very competitive place. New technological solutions
to already known problems appear all the time. And technology users
switch from old to new products due to their superior quality all the
time. That might *induce* authors of old software to stop developing
them due to lack of motivation. But that doesn't make the authors of new
products tyrants. It's just competition (as violent as that thing
naturally is).

Daniel certainly feels very bad about the fact that "his" software is no
longer used to build official Debian live images. But the teams who
decided to adopt a different solution were fully entitled to do so, and
they certainly didn't have the power to make Daniel stop developing
Debian Live.  Daniel *is* saying that, but that doesn't make it true.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  zack@xxxxxxxxxx . . . . o . . . o . o
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .