Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 11:53:16PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong here, but as much as I know, Daniel has always
> been there to produce the live images the day of the release, and he
> seemed to very much enjoy publishing the Live image and being part of
> the release process.

It's already been said in this thread that this was not the case, by the
people who were actually left waiting for these images as part of a release.

So you seem to be rather selectively reading the history here.

> > [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/11/msg00132.html

> In this message, I see that Iain is still saying that his software goal
> is to take over live-build, and that at some point, it will replace it.

> So to me, there's nothing changed in the original problem. The excuse
> for the naming wont change anything. Whatever Daniel does, live-build
> will be taken over, and the live images will be built without him, by
> the debian-cd team. And he has nothing to say about it.

> Gosh, am I the only one who sees that?!?

Saying that "live-build will be taken over" is incorrect.  It is being
replaced in the context of debian-cd.  This is a decision that is rightly
within the purview of the debian-cd team to make, and it does not warrant
any kind of apology, either from Debian or the debian-cd team.

It has *also* been addressed in this thread that the official images have
been made by the debian-cd team for some time, *not* by Daniel.

Calling the replacement project live-build-ng was provocative and
inappropriate.  This has been acknowledged and apologized for.  What you
appear to be asking for is something else entirely, a rollback of history.
That's neither reasonable nor realistic.

If Daniel is only motivated to continue to work on live-build if Debian is
using it, that maybe a rude awakening to his many other downstreams who were
happy with the project.  But that doesn't make it the responsibility of
anyone in Debian to try to make him change his mind, or reverse their
decisions about whether to use live-build in their *own* work.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx