Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 09:14:08AM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 09:38:43AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Daniel has been thanked for this contribution, long ago when he was
> > still part of the project. It's part of the history.
>
> Daniel is still part of the project. He's a Debian Maintainer.

Debian Maintainers:

 - cannot vote
 - do not have access to debian-private
 - cannot upload packages except those that a DD has explicitly marked them
   as trusted to upload.

I don't think someone whose participation is subject to these restrictions
is a "member" in any meaningful sense.  And I can't recall ever seeing
someone suggest previously that Debian Maintainers are members of the Debian
Project.

By all means, Debian welcomes the contributions of Debian Maintainers.  But
call a spade a spade.

> I understand that's an inconvenient truth, but as a project we have not
> expelled him.  He was (significantly) demoted but we have continued to
> maintain an association with him, to mutual benefit, detriment or both.  I
> think that means we have some responsibility.  We can't accept his
> contributions on the one hand and distance ourselves from him on another.

I think following your argument to its logical conclusion, you would have to
say that demoting someone to DM is not a legitimate disciplinary measure for
the DAM to use.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx