Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On 11/18/2015 12:43 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Am I the only one who cares for what he feels?

Please don't paint it in a way as if Daniel has been innocent.

Conflicts between Daniel and other Debian people have not shed a good
light on Daniel. I remember how shocked I was when he deliberately
broke debian-installer during the Wheezy freeze. And despite several
people urging him to revert his change so that the release of Wheezy
not be delayed or blocked, he just shrugged it off and blamed the
Debian infrastructure which built debian-installer from packages
in unstable. It was that situation when I first realized that he
cares rather about himself and his own packages than Debian and
other people within the project.

The second incident was when you and him uploaded "cgmanager"
**without** filing an ITP and triggering a clash with Serge
Hallyn who properly adhered the protocol for new packages and
whose package was eventually accepted into unstable.

In this situation, instead of admitting his mistake, Daniel
constantly blamed others and you and him tried to interpret
the rule set for ITPs in your own way just making the whole
conflict worse. If Daniel truly cared for Debian, his only
and correct answer would have been to admit his mistake and
move on. Furthermore, he would have realized that this particular
package is better off in the hands of the upstream developers
and the other developers like Dimitri who actually know the
internal workings of cgmanager and its interdependencies
with other packages. Again, if Daniel truly cared about
Debian, he would have realized that this is better for
Debian and handed the work over instead of throwing such
a fit.

But no, in all cases, he had to turn this into his drama
and blame his own mistakes on others instead of finally
realizing that maybe, just maybe that these conflicts
might have to do something with his own behavior and it's
most likely him who has got to change, not the other guys.

Sorry, but Daniel doesn't get any pity from me. Not under
these circumstances!

Yes, Iain might have worded his initial ITP mail a bit
unlucky. But Daniel's reaction was a complete overreaction
which was not warranted at all. No one said, Debian Live
would be hijacked, destroyed or whatnot. Iain merely filed
a bug about a piece of software that he is **intending**
to package, hence the name. He didn't even upload anything
yet, nothing.

Thomas, please step a bit back and try to adopt a more
neutral view.

Thanks,
Adrian

--