Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

Theodore Ts'o writes ("Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14"):
> There seems to be a school of thought that it doesn't matter what was
> intended; but if the recipient of "derogatory behaviour" is offended,
> then offense has taken place, and that is ipso facto a violation of
> the CoC.

For the avoidance of doubt, that's not my position.

  I think some poeple believe that this there should be a
> "reasonable person" test inserted, because otherwise anyone could
> claim offense at anything, and then demand that someone be ejected
> >from the conference, but there's no such language in the CoC, and it
> is purely up to the discretion of the organizers (which I suspect is
> where the reasonable person test would take place).

I think something vaguely objective like a `reasonable person' test is
the right approach.

> Unfortunately, this makes the CoC subject to abuse in the other
> direction, but *obviously* people who do not traditionally have
> privilege would *never* abuse it in such an unseemly way....

I felt the CoC had been violated and made a complaint.  I hope you are
not saying that you feel that that was `abuse' of the process on my
part, even if you disagree with my opinion.

I have received a clear statement from those responsible that they
felt my complaint was unjustified.  I want to support those people and
therefore I don't intend to pursue the matter any furthrer.

Ian.