Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 09:24:22PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here, but the statement
> that the people enforcing the code of conduct are "composed from classes
> of people that traditionally do not have privilege" is clearly not the
> case in the context of the Debian and DebConf codes of conduct.

What I'm getting at is that the CoC promulgates a zero tolerance
policy (it says "we will not tolerate") of something which is
inherently ambiguous and subject to human subjective interpretation,
and the penalties involved go up to a lifetime ban, and punishment
gets met out, apparently (according to the CoC) at the whims of a
small team.  No mention is made about how that human subjective
interpretation is made, or what if any appeal process exists.

I'm OK with that if the issue is personal safety, but "derogatory
behavior" --- for which we also claim we have no tolerace whatsoever
---- goes far beyond that of personal safety issues, and the fact that
these two get conflated is, in my opinion, unfortunate.

I agree that I missed the bit where it states that it's up to DebConf
organizers, not the anti-harassment team, to make the call of what
punishments to be met out, but I still maintain that conflating
personal safety issues and "being excellent to one another" is not
necessary a great thing, as was demonstrated by the people who
"obviously" thought Linus should be given a lifetime ban.

Cheers,

						- Ted