Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM, Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To take a not terribly hypothetical example; I think Debian should
> tolerate someone who's posting Holocaust denial stuff or discussion
> about the religious ethics of killing prostitutes on their personal
> website, but probably should not tolerate someone bringing that into
> Debian (by publishing it to Planet Debian or
> people.debian.org/~whoever, say).

To give a very precise answer, I think both of the above would make
someone incompatible with Debian on a fundamental level.

> Likewise if someone wants to be a troll on 4chan, a hacker in
> Anonymous, a sexist, racist, misogynist, misanthrope on Usenet, or
> aggressive, intolerant and hyperbolic on other lists, I think that
> should be fine as far as Debian's concerned, as long as they don't do
> that in Debian (on our lists, sites, IRC channels, events, etc).

We have had people do way worse than that in the past and the project
at large did not seem to care in the least. Thankfully, this seems to
be changing slowly, but steadily.

These are general statements and are in _no way_ related to Linus
Torvalds or the CoC complaint.

Richard