Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Holger Levsen <holger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yes. Because when you are attacked, you don't fear for your life or your
> physical or mental well being. Others do. So I think it's very appropriate to
> protect them more.

Again, Russell's statements are about jokes and I am replying in that context.

> That doesn't mean a violation of your rights ain't just that, but still, while
> stepping one someones too is a physical attack, things must also seen and
> treated in proportion.

If we're talking physical attacks or similar, this is a case for the
authorities and not our CoC.

> In this sense your toes are less protected by the CoC, yes. I'm sure you have
> more than enough means to take care of your toes still. Gladly.

Just so we are clear, you agree with the following verbatim quote of Russell

| For example if a woman makes a joke
| about men or a non-white person makes a joke about whites then it's not a
| problem.  But the reverse would be a problem.

in the specific context of Debian and DebConf?

As stated before, I am unlikely to feel personally offended, hurt, or
threatened by most anything I can reasonably expect within Debian, but
I disagree with the notion that it's OK to make fun of _any_ person
because of some of their physical or mental characteristics against
their will. This is the very definition of discrimination.
And that's not welcoming, no matter what euphemisms people
legitimizing this behavior choose to employ.

Richard

PS: I do not dispute that some groups deserve more awareness, and
sub-sequentially some sort of advance protection, than others due to
various factors. There is a _huge_ difference between "you are more
likely to be a target and we want to make sure that does not happen"
and "you have been a target within our social space, but our level of
reaction is determined by characteristics outside of your choosing",
though.