Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 11:42:56PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Now there was a discussion last year about just how healthy the mailing
> list culture is.  It was proposed as a topic for Kernel Summit 2013
> ("[ATTEND] How to act on LKML" at
> <http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-2013-discuss/2013-July/thread.html>).
>
> You agreed it should be discussed at KS:
> <http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-2013-discuss/2013-July/000380.html>.
>  So did Linus: <http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-2013-discuss/2013-July/000197.html>.
>
> And then it wasn't.  Why not?

It was a program committee decision.  It was not unanimous, but it was
nearly so, and without being inappropriately specific about the
internal program committee's deliberations, I'll observe that this
mailing list thread on debian-private is not that different from the
wide ranging, and not entirely constructive discussion that was
happening on the kernel summit discuss list at the time.

I was trying to move a non-constructive discussion to a face to face
meeting, because it was clear the mailing list discussion wasn't
working.  There were a large number of people who were not convinced
that there was *any* way to have a constructive conversation on the
subject --- note that Linus had no idea how to make the conversation
constructive either; his somewhat facetious suggestion was to have
baskets of rotten fruit at the tables which people could then throw at
him.  There was also a strong concern it would just result in another
round of click-bait journalism that would serve no one.

I will also say that before the decision was finalized, the person who
had originally suggested the topic was consulted, and it was agreed
that having a positive discussion about OPW was a far more effective
way to advance her goals.

Regards,

					- Ted