Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 09:25:21AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Theodore Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Because Russ seems to be arguing that Debian should be sanctioning
>>> Linus's behaviours in fora outside of Debian's control by banning him
>>> from Debian events.

>> Er, I explicitly said that I did *not* agree with that action.  You're
>> attributing to me the exact opposite of the position that I hold.

> Hmm, but you also (earlier) said you did support that principle fairly
> explicitly:

>> I will continue to push for Debian to take a principled stance against
>> abusive behavior towards free software community members where we have
>> something appropriate and effective that we can do, even by respected
>> people like Linus, and even in forums other than Debian's own.

> Do you no longer "push for Debian to take a principle standard against
> abusive behaviour towards free software community members .. in forums
> other than Debian's own" ?

No.  Quite the contrary: I believe Debian did exactly that during Linus's
Q&A, and I am quite proud of the project for doing so.  I don't believe
anyone watching that Q&A would come away with the belief that Debian as a
project condoned Linus's lack of caring about the damage his behavior
causes to a community.  I think we expressed that opinion quite clearly
and with appropriate respect.

That's also the position I expressed at the time, as you can verify with
people who were on the relevant IRC channel at the time where several of
us were discussing it live, or the people I discussed the topic with
immediately after the Q&A.

I don't believe that banning Linus is a useful or appropriate way of
taking that stance in this specific case.  Rather, I think engaging with
the idea and making it clear we don't approve was the correct way to take
the stance, and I thank Ryan, Ian, and Clint for doing so (on various
different points).

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxx)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>