Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 5 September 2014 10:25, Russ Allbery <rra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> No, that's clearly not true.  Linus does not treat people with respect
>> by my definition of the word.  He treats people with aggressive
>> contempt in a way that no human being should ever be treated.  Maybe I
>> should use some word other than respect for that, but regardless, he is
>> not meeting that standard, and that's unacceptable.  And should be
>> unacceptable inside Debian.

> I read that last sentence as "Linus should be unacceptable inside
> Debian" fwiw. Perhaps you just meant "not meeting that standard should
> be unacceptable inside Debian",

That's mostly correct.  Sorry about the confusion.

I am additionally stating that I consider that behavior globally
unacceptable anywhere, and would act on that opinion.  For example, I am
very unlikely to join the Linux kernel community for so long as that
community supports Linus's current behavior in that community (which might
be changing).  But that's purely a personal stance and is irrelevant to
what Debian should or should not do.

> but in that case, I'm not sure who you're arguing with?

I'm not sure that I'm arguing with anyone.  I feel like people keep
summarizing my position in ways that I disagree with, so I keep trying to
clarify exactly what I object to.  It's possible that all I managed to do
was dig a deeper hole.  :)

I also feel there is some lingering belief that people should be able to
behave the way that Linus does on LKML in Debian, which is an idea that I
feel should be resisted actively, not passively disagreed with.  But there
seems to be a high level of misunderstanding around that, and I may have
added more heat than light.

Also, Ted and I were having some discussions of the nature of a CoC and
the nature of enforcement of a CoC, which were more general than this
specific incident, and which these various misunderstandings forked off
of.

In terms of what we, as a project, should do, right now, about Linus, I
agree with Steve's earlier message.  I don't think there's anything
further that can productively be done at this point.  I said that
explicitly earlier, and have been trying to reiterate that explicitly at
several additional points, but it sounds like that topic got confused with
several other points of discussion.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxx)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>