Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 10:13:07PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ron writes ("Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect"):
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 08:03:37AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > Ian's original message proposed doing this specifically due to Linus's
> > > statements about the FSF during the Q&A, I believe.  In other words, it
> > > was about behavior in a venue that we control.
> >
> > It was [defence of Linus's answer]

It wasn't a "defence", Russ and I were having a calm and civilised
discussion to try and establish some facts we could agree on beyond
the outrageous hysterics, in the hope that maybe there really was
something useful to learn and take away from this.

> This discussion has already clearly yielded both a consensus, and a
> decision by those responsible, against taking any action against Linus
> for the remarks to which I objected.  I have clearly stated that, I do
> not intend to take the matter further.

Why do you think this is all about you?

Don't the rest of us have a right to figure out what really went
horribly wrong here, and how we can prevent it from happening again?

Sure, you threw the bomb.  But it landed in our yard.  And some of us
are getting kind of tired of that sort of thing happening.

> Under the circumstances, reiterating a defence of Linus's statements
> (about the FSF during the Debconf Q&A) is wholly unhelpful,
> unconstructive, and even inflammatory.  It invites a counter-response
> from me contradicting your reasons for defending Linus's statement.  I
> don't want to make such a counter-response because it would certainly
> be misinterpreted as reopening the original question, and simply
> involve me being dogpiled by Linus's defenders.

If you can't, or won't, back up your serious accusation and demand
for satisfaction with some verifiable facts, for whatever reason,
then the honourable thing to do would be to withdraw it completely
and apologise.

> (Unless anyone is saying that I should be vilified for making the
> complaint.)

I haven't seen anyone call for you to be vilified.

The interesting question is one you posed yourself:

 "a Code of Conduct is only any use if it is enforced, and it is
  only fair if it is enforced equally on everyone."

Are you saying that making a complaint puts you above reproach,
or exempts you from making it with Clean Hands[1]?

(Unless you're saying I should be silenced for asking questions
 you find uncomfortable?)

  Ron

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_hands