Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Ron <ron@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 08:19:22PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> As far as I can see you have expressed an opinion on the topic, namely
>>> that you disagree with Debian banning Linus from Debian events because
>>> of his behaviour in fora outside of Debian's control.

>>> Is that not accurate?

>> Well, I don't believe anyone proposed doing that.  (That isn't, for
>> instance, what Ian was saying at the start of this whole thing.)

> He said:

>  "Debian should make a public statement that Linus will not be welcome
>   at Debian events in future."

> That seems pretty unambiguous to me.  Does asking someone questions
> about things that happened outside Debian somehow bring those things
> under "Debian's control"?

Ian's original message proposed doing this specifically due to Linus's
statements about the FSF during the Q&A, I believe.  In other words, it
was about behavior in a venue that we control.  I don't think anyone has
proposed banning him because of behavior on the LKML.  (And, to reiterate,
I don't think he should be banned due to those statements during the Q&A
either, but I think it's worth pointing out that Ian also respected the
line that you and AJ are pointing out and was not on the side of that line
that you seem to think he was.)

--
Russ Allbery (rra@xxxxxxxxxx)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>