Re: Call for moderation and mediation: debian-live vs. debian-live-ng

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 16:37:27 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 03:49:52PM +0100, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> > A short, impartial, factual summary of events
> > past and present from the project should be enough.
> I very much agree.

I'm afraid that's not so easy, or in other words: IMO there's no such
thing as an impartial factual summary, or an objective history, or
an absolute truth.

While this broad statement might quickly lead into the depths of
epistemology or philosophy of science/history, I think this thread
alone shows that everyone sees those so-called "facts" through the
filters of their own perceptions and experiences.

Just looking at what Zigo and Adrian wrote today demonstrates this
point: They see the same events differently, and I couldn't say that
one is right and the other wrong.

> (And with "public statement" I don't mean anything high profile such a
> press release, a mailing list post on debian-devel in the appropriate
> thread would be enough.)

The above doesn't preclude the possibility of a statement that shows
someone's view of what happened; e.g. the Debian CD team could write a
mail similar to Sledge's mail here explaining their _point of view_.

I think acknowledging that different people see and interpret things
differently, plus admitting mistakes, and offering ideas for the
future is more helpful than trying to find a common understanding of
the past.

</soap box>

Cheers,
gregor

 : :' : Debian GNU/Linux user, admin, and developer -  https://www.debian.org/
   `-   NP: Tanita Tikaram: I Might Be Crying