Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

peter green wrote:
> Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
>>
>> I strongly disagree. Debian should be a place where all kind of people
>> should feel welcome.
> Does "all kinds of people" include assholes?  does it include trolls?
>>  If someone contributing is known for having
>> oppressive behaviour, even if it's outside of Debian, it might just
>> chill me out of getting involved in the project after seeing they are
>> involved. Because I could I know they won't have the same behaviour in
>> Debian?
>>
> And theres the root of the problem, some see swear-filled rants as
> "oppressive" some see trying to block swear-filled rants as "oppressive". Some
> see letting people who are known to be assholes in non-debian contexts as
> "oppressive" others see trying to enforce our values on participents even when
> those participants are not "wearing a debian hat" as "oppressive".
>
> You can't keep everyone happy all the time, it's just not possible.

Indeed.  I think of it as a question of tolerance versus welcoming.  If Debian
wants to be a tolerant community, then we need to accept that assholes are
assholes, and allow them to participate in Debian if they behave within
Debian.  If we want to be welcoming to as many people as possible, then we
cannot be as tolerant.  But its really not simple, and each approach is a
slippery slope, and each approach can end up banning people.  And banning
people also harms Debian.

.hc