Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 11:16:00PM +0100, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Linus' talk left a sour after-taste to me. Imho many of the things he
> said or re-asserted to be committed to are not only not in spirit of
> code of conduct but also go against our diversity statement on the
> grounds of being non-constructive. And it's not even off-hand things
> he said and took back, but rather things that required active scifi
> creativity put into them and still hold ground after being challenged
> at Q&A.

The code of conduct applies only to Debian controlled spaces.  If you
believe that Debian should censor Linus for not following a code of
conduct that Debian has agreed to --- but which he hadn't --- that
seems equivalent to how the US has tried to exert extraterritorial
control using its law to control data stored in Ireland.

I dare say that the Debian Code of Conduct would be violated pretty
thoroughly in all/most military training camps; I await Debian
Developers advocating that anyone who has ever been a drill instructor
should never be invited or allowed to attend a Debian event on the
grounds that he or she has violated the CoC in situations outside of
Debian --- and he/she might do so at a Debian event!  (Or that this
would somehow be sanctioning their behaviour in other contexts.)

And I have no idea what you are talking about with respect to Debian's
Diversity Statement relating to Linus's statements.

						- Ted