Re: Grabbing Screenshots from VNC Session

__/ [Toby Inkster] on Monday 29 August 2005 22:11 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I am forced to use VNC (most typically remote desktop from Linux) for
>> work, but I don't know if/how VNC helps in just grabbing a snapshot.
>
> You run a VNC server on the machine that you want to capture images from,
> then on your webserver create a cron job that uses a tool like vncrec
> <http://www.sodan.org/~penny/vncrec/> to connect to the server and dump
> the screen display into an image.

I take your point, but you involve several connected machines in this
framework. You could equally have the machine set to accept remote
connections and then have a UNIX/Solaris/BSD/other box connect to it
(whether it is possible to intervene -- from the outside that is -- with an
open Windows session I do am not sure), capture a screenshot containing
just a small region (frame) that represents the remote desktop connection
and follow the same steps as before. The way things work at the moment, I
only suffer a 2-second slowdown once every 10 minutes (that's why I also
'nice' the processes) and I have no memory wasted due to open connections
to remote machines or hosting of connections from remote machines.

Maybe I will do some image stitching in the future, but at the moment I
don't see the point, so I just have an archival daily dump.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Seeing bad movies only encourages them"
http://Schestowitz.com